10 Things Never to Say to a SAHM
For my last post of this week, I just had to share something that I recently saw on Yahoo’s Shine website. It was a list of 10 Things Never to Say to a Stay at Home Mom. Here’s the whole list:
1. When the kids are older, do you think you’ll get a real job?
2. How June Cleaver of you!
3. Oh, so you don’t work?
4. Since you have extra time on your hands, could you whip up a few dozen brownies for the bake sale tomorrow?
5. All day with your kids? I can’t even imagine.
6. I’m jealous. I wish my husband were rich so I wouldn’t have to work either.
7. What do you do all day, anyway?
8. I’m sure you’re not the only one who’s ever wasted money on a college degree.
9. That explains why your son is so clingy!
10. Weird. I assumed your house would be superclean.
I must say, as a SAHM with a college degree, I have heard number 8 more times than I care to count. I didn’t know college degrees had an expiration date! I think everyone I know always assumed that because I did so well in school, graduated near the top of my class, etc., that I would be some kind of “successful businesswoman (cue Romy and Michelle)”. To me, having a husband who I love very much and a son that is healthy and happy is the best kind of success! I couldn’t imagine not being able to stay home with my son, and I’m very blessed to have the opportunity to do so.
What do you think of this list? If you are a SAHM, have you ever heard any of these things? I don’t want to turn this into a debate–whether you stay at home or have a job out of the house, all moms work!