7 Reasons to Start a Patio Garden in Spring
It happens every Spring: People all over the country attempt to garden in the traditional way, and give up when it’s obvious that they don’t have a green thumb. Usually, gardening means digging long rows in the yard, planting, watering, fertilizing, constant weeding, and vigilant pest control. If you would love a garden without having to break your back to get one, consider raising one right on your patio.
When you raise a garden in containers and raised plant beds, you have some advantages that traditional gardening can’t offer. These include:
1. No weeding: No more spending endless hours plucking weeds from the ground. Container gardening means you will have little to no weeds to deal with. When you start with new soil in the containers, there are no weeds to worry about at all. If a weed does pop up, it’s easy to just pull it out.
2. No fertilizing: Using a proper raised bed garden mixture ensures that you won’t have to fertilize. This mixture includes 1/3 part course vermiculite, 1/3 part peat moss, and 1/3 part compost. Just add this mixture to your containers once a year.
3. More plants and more variety: Since the soil in the containers is loose, and you don’t have to give up any of it for walking space, you can grow lots of different plants right beside each other.
4. No soil compaction: Since you’re not walking on the soil that the plants grow in, you won’t compact the soil, which hurts the roots and prevents growth.
5. Garden anywhere: Whether on your patio, on the balcony, or on the deck, you can move your containers around anywhere you want them to be.
6. Grow pesticide-free, organic produce: When you use organic seeds in your garden, you don’t have to worry about non-organic plants springing up. Also, you won’t have to use pesticides.
7. Water less often: The compost mixture mentioned above is very good at retaining moisture. Once your raised bed has been saturated, you won’t have to water often.
Container gardening is the perfect compliment to a patio, besides beautiful patio furniture, that is! Remember us at TheFoamFactory.com when you need a comfortable patio cushion from which to enjoy your garden.